TCFA 18th Annual Conference
Opportunities and Challenges in an Uncertain World:
Global Financial Market Transformation and
China's Financial Reform
Main Conference: NYU, Skirball Center
566 LaGuardia Place, New York, Oct 14, 2012
Investment Contest & Best Paper Symposium:
Le Parker Meridien Hotel, New York, Oct 13, 2012
The Chinese Finance Association (TCFA), a leading organization of Chinese finance industry professionals, is proud to present the 18th Annual Conference entitled “Opportunities and Challenges in an Uncertain World: Global Financial Market Transformation and China's Financial Reform” on Oct 13-14th in New York City. This TCFA signature event provides a high-quality platform for industry leaders, academic experts, government regulators, and TCFA members to share thoughts on the latest developments in the global economy and the financial markets. It is the can’t-miss event of the year.
Four years after the onset of the financial crisis, the world is still mired in uncertainties. In Europe, continued sovereign debt crisis has cast the spotlight on European Central Bank’s policy proposal of how to bail out peripheral countries and address Euro’s structural flaws. In the United States, fragile economic recovery could be jeopardized by the uncertainty resulting from the Presidential Election which will influence the long term fiscal health of the country and the direction of financial regulatory reform. In China, whether its economic growth will be derailed by a hard landing, hinges on the new leadership for the next decade and its financial and economic initiatives which will be ushered in by the 18th National Party Congress.
At this critical juncture, our conference seeks to address these important questions: How do we navigate these uncertainties? What are the likely policy responses? What is in store for China’s financial reform? And what are the investment opportunities?
Prominent Keynote Speakers
• Carlos Gutierrez, Former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Commerce (2005-2009); Vice Chairman of the Institutional Clients Group, Citigroup
• Dr. Clifford Asness, Founder and Managing Principal, AQR Capital Management, one of the best known and most respected hedge funds in the world with $50bn assets under management
• Dr. Bin Qi, Director General Research, CSRC (证监会)
• Dr. Boming Cheng, President, CITIC Securities (中信证券)
Renowned Speakers from U.S.
• Dr. James Glassman, Managing Director & Head Economist, Commercial Bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co
• Dr. Josef Lakonishok, CEO, CIO, and Founding Partner, LSV Asset Management with $60bn assets under management
• Dr. Sheldon Pang, Vice Chairman, Freepoint Commodities, and Vice Chairman of RBC Capital Markets
• James Sweeney, Managing Director and Senior Global Strategist, Credit Suisse
• Dr. David Woo, Managing Director and Head of Global Rates and Currencies Research, Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Distinguished Speakers from China
• Yang Fan, CITIC PE (中信产业基金)
• Bin Hu, CEO, BNY Mellon Western Fund Management (纽银梅隆基金)
• Jay Luo, President, Dymon Asia Capital, and former head of SAC Capital in Asia
• Shaojie Wang, President, Zhongguancun Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (中关村私募股权投资企业协会)
• Hu Xiao, President, China Brightstone Investment Management (明石投资)
• Dr. Jianfeng Yin, Deputy Director, Institute of Finance & Banking, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (社科院金融所)
• Ming Yu, General Manager, Agricultural Bank of China, New York Branch (中国农业银行)
• Wei Liu, Head of Fixed Income, CITIC Securities (中信证券)
• Senior representatives from SAFE(外管局), CSRC (证监会), CICC (中金), CITIC Securities (中信证券)
Advance Your Career
Leading Chinese financial institutions will have recruiting teams to meet with candidates and conduct on-site job interviews at the concurring Job Fair on Oct 14th, 2012
• CSRC (证监会)
• CITIC Securities (中信证劵)
• BNY Mellon Western FMC
• Leading Chinese asset management companies
Gain Insight from the Leading Academic Experts
For the third year, our annual conference will include a half day Best Paper Symposium featuring top academic experts discussing a variety of current topics, to be held in the afternoon of Oct 13th at the Le Parker Meridien Hotel, New York City. Confirmed speakers include:
• Professor Harrison Hong, John Scully ’66 Professor of Economics and Finance and AFA Fischer Black Prize Winner, Princeton University
• Professor Kose John, Charles William Gerstenberg Professor of Banking and Finance, New York University Stern School of Business
Learn from the Inaugural Investment Contest Judges and Finalists
TCFA launched the Inaugural Investment Contest earlier this year, a trading competition featuring the Alpha Game using 30 ADRs of US listed Chinese companies and the Beta Game using 30 ETFs. The finalists from each game will compete in front of an esteemed judging panel to explain their investment strategy and outlook for the market. The final competition will be held in the morning of Oct 13th at the Le Parker Meridien Hotel, New York City. Our judging panel includes:
• Savio Tung, CEO, North America, Investcorp
• Ted Wang, Co-Head of U.S. Delta Trading & Co-Chief Operating Officer of Global Equities, Goldman Sachs
• Marc Iyeki, Managing Director, NYSE Euronext
• Sihan Shu, Managing Director, Paulson & Co.
• Dr. Pingfan Hong, Chief of Global Economic Monitoring, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations
Network with Industry Leaders and Make New Connections
We are expecting more than 600 attendees at this year’s conference including
• Senior Wall Street professionals
• Delegations from leading Chinese financial institutions
• Accomplished academic experts and researchers
The luncheon and evening reception will provide great networking opportunities to catch up with old friends and to make new connections.
Please register here. Conference registration provides access to the half day Best Paper Symposium on Oct 13th, half day Investment Contest Final Competition on Oct 13th, and the full day Main Conference on Oct 14th. It includes lunch and evening reception on Oct 14th.
Please note the afternoon sessions will be mainly conducted in Chinese.
Package A (including plated 3-course sit-down lunch on Oct 14th)(sold out)
Member Rate: $150.00
Non-Member Rate: $190.00
Package B (including boxed lunch on Oct 14th):
Member Rate: $120.00
Non-Member Rate: $160.00
Becoming a TCFA Member
If you are not a member of TCFA, you can become a member by registering at our website and paying $40.00 membership fee, which will entitle you to the discounted member rate for the annual conference as well as access to future TCFA events.
We want to express our sincere gratitude towards our sponsors, advisers, board members, and executive team who help to make our events possible. If you have any questions, please contact Zhi Li and Jason Zhu at
We look forward to seeing you at the conference!
TCFA Management Team
(Conference details are subject to change)
The information, views, and opinions expressed at this TCFA annual conference are those of the invited speakers and do not reflect the views and opinions of TCFA. TCFA, its directors and officers, do not endorse and will not be responsible for any information, views, and opinions expressed at the TCFA annual conference.